Thursday 1 November 2007

From Beijing to Xi'an

> 暖气开了! 我很高兴! I'm really happy that the central
> heating in my hotel has been turned on!! Yeah!! I went away to
> Xi'an for the weekend, and when I came back, I found that the
> weather has suddenly gone colder. Apparently it was around 1 degree
> around 8am in the morning! It's really cold in the room at night
> and I have been keeping myself warm by doing sit ups and exercising
> in my room and drinking warm water, and was really missing my
> electric blanket! Winter is just around the corner though,
> officially starting end of this month....and all I can say is that
> I'm glad I won't be here for winter- my course finishes on the 5th
> December. By the way, most buildings turn on their central heating
> around mid November, so I've been told, so I've been quite lucky to
> have heating today.
>
> Things have been quite busy (actually, really busy) for me. As the
> temperature drops in Beijing, my study load has increased. I only
> have around 4 weeks left of my course and the teachers are quite
> keen to get through as much as possible - which is a good thing,
> but means lotsand lots of newer and harder words to remember each
> day - 我记不住!- I can't remember!- I think my brain is full
> of new words, so is refusing to take any more in...he he! OK, it's
> not THAT bad, but can feel that way sometimes...Chinese is very
> interesting - a lot of words are made up of a combination of
> characters, so I find if I already know the characters, remembering
> the word is not very hard, but if it's a new word and totally new
> characters, then I have a lot of trouble. I have to be patient, I
> think, and just stick at it. One of the teachers told me that
> Chinese is quite hard when we first start to learn it, but as you
> get over the beginner's stage, things will get a lot easier...I
> think she is right. I'm really enjoying it all though.
>

No comments: