Tuesday 10 June 2008

My B8 Class

Some of the 同学 and 王老师 from B8 class

Does time fly? It's been nearly five months since I've been back to
BLCU. The final exams are coming up in a couple of weeks….and I've
just realised I haven't written about my class yet in this blog.

So, I am in B8 class (regular 20hr/week) this semester. The class is
basically composed of mainly Koreans (possibly 13-14), two Japanese,
two Kazakhstanis and …I. So, it has been very interesting. I have
even thought of learning Korean, but didn't get around to it! The
positive thing is that I have to speak Chinese 99% of the time. I was
a bit concerned previously about the size of the class, but as the
semester progresses, so did the number of students who turned up to
class. Today we only had six! Don't take that as a norm though,
because I think other classes have better attendance, I would say
depending on the motivation of the students, or may be we are all
really tired by this time (either from studying, or partying!).

I find the teaching style a bit different from my last intensive
course, but nevertheless, I still enjoyed all my classes, even the
listening class was interesting.

The zonghe (comprehension class) took up most of the time (12 hours/
week). This time we had a young male teacher. The class turned out to
be a lot of fun and we often chat to and joke with the teacher both
during the class and during the break. I think this really helped to
improve our oral Chinese.

For the oral class (4 hours per week), we have an older teacher. She
is so lovely! We all love her! The only thing about the kouyu class is
that there is so much grammar in each lesson I hardly can remember it
all. Ok, I need to go back and revise.

For Listening (4 hours per week), we have a young female teacher. I
find her really good. She has a way of explaining new words and
grammar in a way that the meaning can be understood easily.

So, it's been interesting, very different from my A7 Intensive class
last year, where we only had 12 students (from 7 different countries)
in the class, and most were really studious, turning up to class
everyday. May be the difference is that if people sign up for the
intensive course, they are probably more studious to start off with.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Alice,

I've just come upon your blog about BLCU and I love how it's so informative! =) I'm planning to come in the fall, and I had a couple of questions for you. Would you recommend renting a house or living in the dorms? Is it really hard to get into the Conference Centre Dormitory?
Thanks for your time,
Joan

Unknown said...

Hi Joan

Thanks! : )

To get into Conference Centre, you just need to give them a call about a month beforehand to book your room.

If I were to come back, I would probably look for an apartment. For the same price of the CC you can get a very nice apartment. I haven't rented an apartment, but I would think it would not be an easy thing if you can't already speak Chinese, or have a Chinese person to help...unless of course, you look for people looking for roommates. There are lots of ads on the www.thebeijinger.com.

Also, if you live outside campus, you'll have to register with the police. The dorms does this on your behalf.

Good luck! : )

Unknown said...

Thanks Alice for the quick reply! =)

I've looked through the Beijinger and have seen a couple of ads!

Sorry, but I've got another question for you!

Is Wudaokou far from BLCU? About how far is it by walking? I've also got the impression that it's also a subway station! So if you could clear that up, that'll be great!

Thanks again for your help,
Joan

Unknown said...

Wudaokou & Wudaokou subway station is about 10 min walk from BLCU.

Mark Cedric said...

Hello alice,

my name is Mark and i am from Mauritius, i was previously in B29. So are you still in Beijing at the moment, i will be back in September to pursue my studies in Beijing and might probably join the C class.

Unknown said...

Hi Mark

I am still in Beijing, finishing off in the next couple of weeks.

September is a good time to come to Beijing. It's getting really hot now!!

Good luck in C class! : )

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to write to you, but couldn't find your email, so thought I'd leave a comment

instead. We at Wowzio have build some beautiful and engaging widgets for your blog.
These pull up content, images & user-activity from your blog automatically, auto update,

and are free of charge. Please take a look at the "Panoramic Slideshow", "Live Activity"

and "Feed Content" widget for your blog at
See Wowzio

Widgets for Your Blog


I apologize for having to leave a comment, please note it is not my intent to spam you.

Thx-Alisha
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Erik said...

Hi Alice, thanks for putting up this blog. I love all the info you give, especially on choosing between 20 or 30 hours a week classes. I was wondering if you know anything about BFSU. I want do decide between BLCU and BFSU yet I don't know which one to choose. Any advice? Thanks! ^^

Unknown said...

Hi Erik .. Sorry, I don't know anything about BFSU.