Friday 16 January 2009

9 Tips for Newbies (and Travellers) going to China


Some useful tips for students (and others) who are about to travel to Beijing for the coming semester (Feb). It will also come in handy for travellers as well!
  1. Get a transport card - you can buy one at the subway station - it's very convenient to use it to pay the subway and the bus fares. You can refill the cards at the subway stations and won't have to line up each time you need to buy a ticket.
  2. Girls should always carry tissues in their bags (might be a good tip for guys as well??) - public in China don't usually come with toilet paper, well, at least they didn't before the Olympics - things may have changed??
  3. For those from countries like Australia, the cars in China drive on the left hand-side of the road, so do take care when you cross the road! Actually, everyone should extra take care when they cross the road - you'll understand when you get there!
  4. If you have decided to buy a bike whilst in Beijing, buy 1-2 good chains to protect your bike. New bikes get stolen all the time. 

  5. Bargain, bargain, bargain! - everywhere you go, except the supermarket and food stalls. In department stores, it never hurts to ask for a discount. When bargaining (in places like Silk Street), I always start with 10-20% of the price, but always do it with a smile. Never let on that you like the product. Criticize it - saying that you really want another colour, say that's it's too expensive, you're a poor student, etc, etc. If you've reached your limit, be prepared to walk away. Most likely the vendor will call you back for more bargaining. Yes, it's a tiring process and I used to hate it - until I think of it as a game and a chance to practise my Chinese. It's very important to keep the bargaining good natured and smile - you're more likely to get your way. 
  6. Your favourite website may not be accessible in China. No worries! In this case, you can use a "proxy server" - the ones I used doesn't seem to be available at the moment. I found this one: http://www.xroxy.com/xrp/001010A. If you're in China, may be you could check it out to see if it works & let us know? Thanks!

  7. Have an open mind & get out there and have fun! China is a whole new experience, but you'll find a lot of the Chinese generally very friendly and willing to help. The younger ones can probably speak, or at least understand a bit of English  although they may be a bit shy speaking it. 
  8. I do find that I didn't have a lot of problems, especially in the city, but do still be careful have your wits about you, especially when you go to a small town, particularly near railway stations. There are a lot of touts trying to take you to places that you may not want to go, and a friend got cheated by a shoe-cleaning lady who refused to give her change from a big note. It wasn't a lot of money (for us), but does ruin your day. 
  9. Buy the Lonely Planet China before you go.  It's not available in China, and I wasn't able to find another alternative there that is just as good and I really wished that I had a copy! 
     
Well, that's it for now. If anyone out there have any tips to add, please feel free to do so via the comment section. 

18 comments:

EaMo! said...

Hey Alice!
Thanks for writing such an informative blog! I'm heading to blcu in march for the 12 week course and I've found your blog really interesting/helpful(ive read all your posts =D). Now im really excited! I just wanna say thanks for all the great advice and I hope my experience in beijing is as good as yours!..maybe i'll keep my own blog too ^^

Cheers,
Eamon

Unknown said...

Hi Eamon

Thanks very much for the feedback! I'm glad you found it useful! I'm sure you'll have a great time in BLCU. Let me know if you do write a blog. : )

Alice

EaMo! said...

Hey Alice!
I'm in beijing now! did my placement test in blcu yesterday. class doesnt start until monday though, so i should have time to update my blog -> eamoinchina.blogspot.com ^_^

Selba said...

Wow! This is really informative! Thanks for sharing it. I wish I knew it long time ago :)

Exactly 10 years ago, I was studying chinese in Beijing, wanted to to join BLCU but I was too late so I rented a room at Bei Da -Da Xue and had a private teacher to come everyday for 4 hours tuition. It's very expensive and I couldn't stay more than 2 months because the teacher couldn't speak English so at the end it was like a duck teaching a chicken and it became not worth it at all because it's like studying by my own except for the intonation and pronunciation. Then, everything was charged in US dollars.

But anyway, I had a wonderful time in Beijing with a lot of stories and hope that someday I would have a chance to visit it again :)

Unknown said...

Hey Alice, I hear this is a good proxy for China: http://www.kproxy.com/

I will be starting a one year course at BLCU in March and have started my own blog to document my experiences if anyone is interested: http://chinainmypocket.blogspot.com/

Cheers! :)

有趣 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Alice, ni hao,

Thanks for sharing information about your stay in BLCU! I am orientating myself where to study Mandarin in china. Can you tell me more about the origins of the fellow-students? I wish not to be surrounded by only English speakers. From experience I know it's very easy to switch to English and my goal is to speak as much Chinese as possible to practice my speech.

How did you arrange your stay? By a organisation or by yourself?

Thanks in advance for answering!

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

Can I ask you whether there were any cooking facilities at the Conference Centre.

Thanks in advance

Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

Can I ask you whether there were any cooking facilities at the Conference Centre.

Thanks in advance

Unknown said...

@Montymike - thanks for the tip! I visited your blog - very interesting!

@YeeMay - Ni hao! The students came from all around the world! Lots of English speaking ones (from England, US, Australia, etc) and lots of non English speaking ones - Korea, Japan, etc.

I arranged the stay myself.

@KHTang - CC has a kitchen. You can cook simple things (on the stove) but no microwave - this was at the time I was there - not sure about now though.

Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

Much appreciated for the reply.

Very informative blog and hope all goes well with your travel agent business. I might call you up in the foreseeable future for a tour!

Thanks

Kiy

Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

Are you able to comment on the difference between a standard and luxury single room @ the Conference Centre. Just wondering if the quality is worth the difference in price. Also would like to simply know what electric plug hole system is used in China. Although I have purchased a so called worldwide adaptor, it does not seem to mention China as one of the compatable countries.

Again thanks in advance for the help and hope u had a happy New Year!

Unknown said...

@KH - I haven't seen the luxury room. The standard room is more than good enough! I think with the luxury rooms, you get a couch and may be bathtub(??)

As for electrical plugs, you can see their powerpoint here: http://www.seechina.com.au/Info/China_Outlet.htm
..although the website says you can use Aussie electrical appliances, I found I couldn't plug in Aussie plugs and need an adaptor. I think you can get a powerboard (quite common, I think) in China that takes various plugs from different countries.

Hope this helps! If you want to contact me directly, you can go to my profile, click on "my website" - you can contact me through there. : )

季玉 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

hi) my name is Alice. I'm going to Beijing to study chinese for semester this september and choose between BLCU and Tsinghau. Can you give a piece of advice? Thanks.

Unknown said...

@Alice - What do you need to know?

yuth said...

Hey Hi alice i am yuth planning for china tour.your blog will help me in tour.thanks for this informative blog.