Saturday 1 September 2007

Vaccination

Ok, 10 days to go! I left it a bit late - should have done it a couple of weeks ago...actually, I should have done it before leaving Australia! Anyway, I decided to go get my vaccination for Hepatitis A. The doctor also suggested Typhoid vaccine...so I had that as well. 2 needles! Ouch! ...actually it wasn't too bad. The nurse was very skillful and didn't hurt at all...until now...the left arm is aching from the typhoid vaccine. : ( ...so I'm now covered...almost...my uncle, who is a doctor in Singapore, also suggested the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine. After reading more into it though, I've left it a bit late as 3 injections are required. I think the risk is a lot higher in rural areas. Japanese Encaphalitis is transmitted via mosquitos from infected pigs and wild birds. I guess the risk would be higher here in Chiang Mai than Beijing. Still, I'd better be careful with mosquitoes since they also transmit malaria and dengue fever (quite prevalent in Thailand).

Travel health information are available here if anyone is interested.
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationChina.aspx
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/china.html
They are quite detailed. I think it's worth being prepared than to have problems later.

Since I am a pharmacist, I can't help but prepare my "medicine kit"! I know I can probably get most things, especially basic stuff, in China...but I think when you are sick, the last thing you want to do is run around looking for a pharmacy and explaining to the pharmacist what you want, particularly if your language skill isn't that good!

..so this is what I'm taking (so far!):
Paracetamol
Stomach stuff - antacids
Insect repellent
Antihistamines - in case of allergy
Actifed - for colds
An antibiotic
Vitamin C
Imodium
Multivitamin

Should be enough! : )

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi again!
I'm back in the U.S. now (my blog is a little delayed because my school newspaper features posts when I put them out over a longer timespan), but I'm taking upper level Chinese classes at my college and my Mandarin is much improved! You'll learn so much just by listening to other people talk, it's amazing. Are you taking Mandarin classes just in the morning, or in the morning and afternoon?
Kate